Welcome to The Frustrated Nester.
I’m Catriona, a writer from Scotland, currently based in Denmark, who’s also lived in France (twice), Uganda, and Congo.
2019 saw the ten-year anniversary of the start of the expat journey I’ve been sharing with my husband and kids. In that time we’ve seen seven moves, eight homes, three languages and some incredible travel opportunities.
On these pages you’ll find my articles about travel and expat living, as well as what it’s like to get hyggelig as an international living in Esbjerg, Denmark. If that’s what you like to read, please find the follow button to make sure to never miss a post. There’s even more to see when you follow on Instagram: @thefrustratednester or Facebook: The Frustrated Nester.
I’m also on the team for The International, a dynamic monthly newspaper for and about internationals living in Denmark. Follow the links below to read previous articles:
- April 2020: Looking Forward to a Second Spring – connecting with nature while we keep our distance
- March 2020: Picturing the Family in Esbjerg – an interview with Esbjerg-based family and wedding photographer Juli Behrendt Bexkens
- February 2020: Eating Globally – and Danishly – in Esbjerg
- January 2020: Get a Culture Shot – cultural highlights around Esbjerg
- December 2019: Widen Your Horizons – The beach in winter
- November 2019: Wild-ish West Denmark – Pioneer spirit in Esbjerg
- October 2019: Autumn Family Fun in Esbjerg – Keep the kids amused
- September 2019: Hit the Ground Running – Thrive in a new location
- August 2019: Welcome to Esbjerg! – An interview with Esbjerg kommune’s Newcomer Service
- July 2019: A West Jutland Summer – Sunny days out around Esbjerg
- June 2019: Immersed in the Past – Discovering modern Viking culture
- May 2019: Community Connections – Find your tribe in a new location
- April 2019: A Northern Soul – Moving from Africa to Esbjerg
The anthology of expat stories, Life on the Move, edited by Lisa Webb, features my essay ‘A Bag of What-If’, all about a very memorable weekend of Congo living. Click here to get your copy.
That book is a follow-up to Once Upon an Expat, where I wrote about ‘How Not to Say Goodbye’. Get your copy of that one here.
I’m currently working on a memoir of place and home. For exclusive extracts and essays, please join my journey beyond the blog! Sign up here, and as soon as you’ve joined, a preview of the book will arrive in your inbox, exclusively for you to read!
Keep in touch, and email firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know what you like!